Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fondle me Elmo, The Elmo crisis.

OK OK OK, I love Elmo, my kids love Elmo, hell my grand mama loves Elmo. But I just can not wrap my mind around these allegations against of sexual misconduct against Kevin Clash, creator of the Elmo character. It just does not make sense, how can a consenting adult or consenting teen of legal age turn around and bring lawsuits for millions in damages? 5 million in damages to be exact.

Dr Boyce makes a great point about this in branding terms, he writes, 'So, the curious case of Kevin Clash is a lesson for business students everywhere about the importance of brand management. We don’t know who the faces are behind Big Bird, Grover, The Cookie Monster or even Kermit the Frog. The reason that the faces of the men and women behind these characters are not presented to the public is likely because Sesame Street doesn’t want to destroy the reputations of innocent (and profitable) puppets by forcing them to be accountable for someone else’s behavior.

I’m curious to see how things work out for Clash, and I’m also wondering how things are going to go with his feature film. Whether or not the allegations are true, we will never look at Elmo the same.'




There will be plenty of news fodder about this in the upcoming days, haha maybe this is to distract us from our rapidly approaching December 12 apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment